Thursday, September 13, 2012

Article Reflection #2 RSS and Dale and Siegel Readings

            My first assignment for this class was to create a personal blog. This is something that I had no idea where to start and what it even was. The directions that were given to me to click on blogger and go from there was really helpful. The directions walked me through step by step and I was able to create the blog and now I have even figured out how to make it more personal with font and color changes. I think the blog was easy and nice to use. The next assignment I was given was to set up a RSS, of course I went to Wikipedia and looked up what it was, and that didn't even make me feel more comfortable. Setting up the RSS was easy it was almost like it was already sent up when I got on to the Google page. The most difficult part was subscribing to all my classmates blogs. I would get some that would work and others that didn't, I did it three different ways before I was able to finally get everyone. This is the time that I wish I was face to face with someone who knew how to do this, that way I could have them help me. But I got it completed and am relieved that it is done!
             When it come to the article by Dale and how the blogger and RSS fit it I think that there are some various areas. The blogger fits in to the visual symbols section and the still pictures, realistic drawings, radio and recordings section. Under the visual symbols section it describes representations such as graphs, diagrams, representations and so on. I think that the blogs are able to lend to this section because there are so many options of things that can be added to your blog. I have seen other people, just in our class, add pictures. I am sure that people that are more skilled in the blogs also add various other items. The still pictures, realistic drawings and so on section it describes that various types of media that people can get information from a blog can be pulled up on some of the technology described by Dale. Also the information can be used by groups or one person.
              The RSS falls under the still pictures and visual symbols as well. The reader is able to give people specific information about topics that they are interested in. These topics can come from various types of media like photos, writings, video clips, websites and more. All of the medias that I named can be brought to a person through their RSS, or they can get links and other resources from reading the information from their RSS.
               Siegel talks about computer imagination in his article. I think that the one thing that blogger can do in reference to this article is individualize. The blogger is an area where students can get on their computers and enter their homework and personalize the website to fit them. This gives them the freedom to give their opinions like we do for our class. It also gives students the opportunity to keep things organized and not have to worry about losing papers and turning in hard copies. The thing about RSS that relates to this article is that it gives children the freedom to connect with other student's blogs and to connect with various other blogs that have topics that are interesting to them. This would make reading articles more interesting for them, if they can find their own. I chose to subscribe to multiple early childhood blogs because I teach preschool and now I can get information from them, as well as my classmates, and not have to weed through various other "junk" that I don't really care about!

No comments:

Post a Comment